pi day necklace - momgineer

pi day necklace


Pi day (3.14) is a fun holiday for math geeks and it is just around the corner! If you know me at all, you know just how much I love pi. If there were an e day, I'm sure we would celebrate that as well. There are so many projects you can do with your kids - try pointing out circles you see around the house or out and about, and how pi comes into play (for all of you non math geeks, remember C = πd? If not, head to wikipedia). You can have fun by baking a pi(e), or serving a snack in the shape of pi. This piñata looks like a fun project for next year for us. I hope I don't forget about it!

This year we made pi day pasta necklaces using the first dozen digits of pi. Here are some more if you are an overachiever:

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286

Pi Day Necklace
What you need:
  • beads or pasta you can string, in different shapes, sizes, or colors
  • string or yarn
  • scissors
  • tape (optional)
We used more of our dyed pasta for this. F will be 3 this month and was able to follow the numbers I wrote down on his own so this seems like a good craft for the preschool crowd. He had a lot of fun choosing which (different) piece would come next and then counting them out and stringing them on. Just cut the string to your desired length, add a piece of tape to make the stringing end rigid, and start sorting and stringing them on. Simple and cute!

bowl o' pasta
F stringing
Done!
This project makes me want to hit up the local bead store and make my own pi bracelet!

Here is another post on Pi Day activities.
momgineer Meredith Anderson

STEM education is my passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment